The Savage River mine in Tasmania dates back to 1887 when magnetite was discovered. The mine and concrete plant is 100 kilometres south-west from Burnie by road. The pelletising plant and dedicated port facilities at Port Latta are located 70 kilometres north west of Burnie. The operations at Savage River and Port Latta operate continuously 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
The mine is accessed by a sealed road that branches off the main north-south Link Road from Burnie to Rosebery. Savage River Mine is located in North West Tasmania at an elevation of 100-350m. The terrain is rugged, mountainous and covered with dense rainforest.
The mine and concentrating plant are both in the Savage River Valley, with the Savage River flowing through the mine site and ultimately discharging into the Pieman River, which then flows westwards to the coast.